Savings, Unpredictability and Lobster
It was embarrassing. Aston Villa 1 Stoke City 4 – such scorelines should simply not happen at Villa Park. If Lambert had described the Chelsea win as the “best in my time”, then this was surely one of the worse.
It was the first time a Stoke team has ever scored four goals in an away Premier League game and it was also Stoke’s first away win since August. As we now full well know, when a team is in a long drought of away wins away, the first thing they look for nowadays, is when they have a trip to Villa Park. With nine defeats in 16 home games, Villa tend to be very obliging hosts.
The sad thing was though, losing against Stoke came as no surprise. Villa have never pushed on after big wins under Lambert. Still, here at MOMS, there’s always some reasons to be cheerful as Villa fans
1. Villa were OBVIOUSLY saving themselves for their trip to Manchester United next week. Right?
2. Aston Villa 1 Chelsea 0. Chelsea 6 Arsenal 0. Aston Villa 1 Stoke City 4. Villa can hide behind the notion that, ‘ The unpredictably of the Premier League is what makes it great’. They must be classed as a great advert for the game, and good for the Premier League to attract even more TV rights money!
3. All the teams that are looking like relegation folder lost at the weekend, meaning there shouldn’t be a need for sleepless nights for Villa fans worrying about relegation. If there’s one thing that is predictable about the supposed unpredictable league, it’s that luckily there’s always worse teams than Villa about. It’s not much of a comfort though.
4. If you’re going to lose, it’s always a good thing if at least your top scorer keeps his eye in and scores. Benteke’s goal keeps him in a similar position to his last campaign (a goal behind his 2012/13 league tally), when a late flourish gave him a decent haul for the season.
5. Personally speaking, being on the last day of a weekend holiday/stag do in Tenerife, I was spared watching the Stoke shambles. Lucky me. My plan had been to get to a bar showing the footy and watch it before going directly to the airport for my return flight, but I was persuaded into a trip to a fishing port to one of the best seafood restaurants on the island. After three consecutive big nights on the beer and a funny feeling about the Stoke game, the last thing I wanted to see was another pint and a Villa loss taking the gloss off a top-notch trip. UTV