There’s some transfer rumour stories that Media Muppets can smell the BS a mile off. Normally, they are written by a) The Metro, b) HITC (purely in it for the Newsnow click-bait, so please don’t click!) and c) Talksport.
Today Talksport rolled out a peach that makes no logical sense at all.
Aston Villa transfer report: Tim Sherwood plotting audacious move for £20m-rated Monaco star
‘Aston Villa are weighing up a move for Monaco star Aymen Abdennour.
Barcelona and Roma have expressed an interest in the 26-year-old, while Liverpool are also said to be monitoring the situation.
But now, according to Foot Mercato, Aston Villa are now contemplating an audacious move for Abdennour before the transfer window closes.
Villans boss Tim Sherwood is keen to bolster his squad this summer and still has money left over following the sales of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph.
Monaco are reluctant to part with their Tunisia international but maybe willing to sell if a club splashes out over £20m.’
1. Are Villa interested in Abdennour?At £20m? No f**king way!
2. £20m for a player who at 26-year-old would give Villa minimal opportunity for a profit or a decent return. £20m? when you already have Richards, Clark and Okore? There are areas where Sherwood would invest £20m first. Villa would never pay £20m for a centre-back, period. £10M tops for a really good one would be your guide price.
3. ‘Still has money left over following the sales of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph’, yeah, maybe around a two or three million, but not the amount that would see Villa spend crazy money on a centre-back.
4. Do Talksport know anything about Randy Lerner’s recent fiscal policy at Villa, towards transfers?
5. Not even Barcelona, Roma or Liverpool – all the clubs mentioned in the Talksport article – would part with 20m for the player.
6. This is clearly a click-bait story with the ‘£20m-rated centre-back’ description. It shows you how much they respect the intelligence of their readership.
Media Muppets Rating: 9/10
If you’ve spotted an article that is just lazy journalism or worse, and perfect for Media Muppets then leave the link in the comments below, DM us on facebook or send it to us via Twitter @oldmansaid