Villa’s response to the do-or-die nature of the last two fixtures is there for all to see. Of course, the team have ridden their luck at times, but while most fans would have gladly settled for four points from the two games, Villa came up trumps with a full house of six. The relegation battle has begun in earnest, but Villa seem to be up for it. UTV
1. The team spirit shown in recent weeks isn’t just a flash-in-the-pan. When QPR took the lead, I’ll be honest, I feared the worst. Villa hadn’t troubled Julio Cesar in the QPR goal and QPR were attacking with purpose, with Guzan pulling off a couple of miracle saves to keep Villa in it. But Villa never gave in and our new ‘goal before half-time habit’ is very welcome.
2. At half-time, I tweeted this:
— My Old Man Said (@oldmansaid) March 16, 2013
First of all, thanks to the finest stand in English football for sorting that one out! Magic stuff. Secondly, joking aside, the support came up all aces on Saturday. 38,000+ for a relegation match was a very decent effort and belies the Villa supporter’s ‘fickle’ reputation. The crowd played a big part in backing the team all the way to victory. Later in the evening, it was amazing to hear the noise of the Holte coming through TV speakers during MOTD; no other match on the show seemed to have the same volume of home support. A promising sign for the final Villa Park games ahead.
3. Villa’s forward line looks hungry and all of them got among the goals. Benteke edges towards the magic 20, Gabby ‘Villa Don’t Lose When I Score This Season’ Agbonlahor added another, and Weimann was the cutting edge in the QPR game. Weimann is certainly a player who wears his heart on his sleeve, something that is increasingly rare in the modern game.
4. Taking our fate into our own hands. You’ll go crazy willing for every other fixture to go Villa’s way. Yes, it would have been good if Liverpool had beaten Sothampton, but it won’t be as half as good as Villa beating Liverpool in our next game. Liverpool’s defence looked shocking against the Saints…and we all know what Beneteke and Weimann did to them last time. A double over the Scousers? It’s on like Donkey Kong!
5. Back-to-back wins and then an international break to savior them. At least, finally, we can have a couple of weeks of stress relief.
Feel free to add your own reasons in the comments section below. UTV
Follow MOMS on Twitter here: @oldmansaid
Follow MOMS on Google+
Bet365 will match your bet with a FREE BET up to £200, if you open an account with them. They are also currently offering decent percentage bonuses on accumulator wins on the top European leagues and Champion’s League.