Injuries, a Benteke transfer request, but we can still be cheerful can’t we?
The potential savior of Aston Villa’s defence Okore is already injured, the Christian Benteke transfer request means the club could lose their best player, Charles N’Zogbia is too crook to be sold, oh, and we can’t beat German lower division teams. Just a typical Villa preseason then! But there are some rays of hope…
1. Paul Lambert had brought six players before the transfer window was open. Somebody had been planning ahead, while multi-tasking fighting a relegation battle last season. Offered money in the January window, Lambert turned it down, as he was happy to go with what he had. Obviously, he had Okore penciled in then, hence he didn’t move for a much-needed centre-back at that time. Now, Villa’s squad suddenly looks a lot healthier, but will the first wave of recruits lift the quality of the first team?
2. Unbeaten in preseason…although you’d think we should be banging in the goals against these German minnows. It’s not all about fitness you know!
3. Samir Carruthers and Gary Gardner have been getting game time in preseason. Carruthers certainly deserves a crack after captaining the Villa youth team to European glory last season and it’s great to have Gary Gardner back on the pitch after injury. Lets hope the comeback kid makes a big impact this season and bags his first Villa senior goal.
4. Antonio Luna aka Tony Moon helps fill the void of the loss of Olof Mellberg’s beard in the Villa defence. Cuellar tried to fill in, by growing one, but it was never really up to scratch. Mr Moon’s looks the real deal though, lets hope it acts a lucky talisman for clean sheets.
5. Well, Villa might be at least £25 million better off this summer due to the Christian Benteke transfer request. I’d rather keep Benteke than have that money (as it’s not going into my or any MOMS reader’s bank account). That’ll teach us to actually really embrace a player and show him affection. To be honest, I don’t ever remember him diving into the crowd to celebrate any of his goals with the Villa supporters. He could have been a Villa legend, now he’ll just be a one season bitter foot note. Although, saying that, the Benteke transfer saga isn’t over just yet, as hopefully, Villa will stand firm and not negotiate on price with any suitors that actually make a bid. We might get another season out of him yet.
If you can think of any other reasons to be cheerful as a Villa fan, please add them in the comments below. UTV
Follow MOMS on twitter at @oldmansaid
Follow MOMS on Tumblr