Fabian Delph off to the Hammers?
After Christian Benteke transfer rumours (he’s still at Aston Villa last time we checked), Fabian Delph rumours are the next most tedious. Wasn’t Delph meant to be Yohan Cabaye’s replacement at Newcastle? In fact, wasn’t Delph and Weimann going in a £15 million double deal to Newcastle? Oh, maybe not, it seems he’s off to West Ham instead…
Dave Kidd @ The Mirror
West Ham’s Big Sam plots Fab £5million move for Villa youngster Delph
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is plotting a bid for Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph.
The former England Under-21 player , who is a candidate to force his way into Roy Hodgson’s senior squad next season, has a year left on his Villa Park deal and the Hammers believe they can prise him away.
The club are carrying out a major overhaul of their squad this summer and Allardyce is keen to sign a first-choice central midfield player with Premier League experience.
Delph, 24, fits the bill and the Hammers are ready to make an offer of around £5m for a player who attracted the attention of England boss Hodgson with some fine performances in a struggling Villa team last season.
Villa are keen to tie former Leeds kid Delph to a new deal but no agreement is imminent.
1. It’s getting to the point where we’re going to have to post out a Media Muppets medal to the Mirror offices for their unshakeable duty to being prized Media Muppets when it comes to outlandish transfer rumours.
2. ‘Youngster’? In football terms Delph is three or four years past that description.
3. £5 million?! Would Aston Villa really let one of their best players go for such an amount? A player, as the Mirror puts it, is a ‘candidate to force his way into Roy Hodgson’s senior squad next season’. First of all, it would be the most foolish piece of business Villa have done since Martin O’Neill sold Gary Cahill for a similar amount, especially since he cost almost twice that amount. Secondly, it would cause a riot at Villa Park, since the club would be pretty much making a statement that it actually had zero ambition.
4. Yep, I’m sure what motivated Fabian Delph through two long-term injuries at Aston Villa was the goal of eventually getting a move to and playing for a lesser club like West Ham.
5. I could go on, but this rumour is just made-up nonsense. People get paid for this. I wonder if they actually believe the stuff they write?