Four home losses out of five, no goals in three games, but hey, life ain’t all bad!
A 2-0 defeat by Everton pretty much felt the same as the 2-0 home defeat the week before at Villa Park versus Spurs. It story of not taking our chances. Benteke is still fresh back from injury, so can be forgiven, but it’s about time Weimann and Tonev learnt a bit of composure.
Five reasons to be cheerful as a Villa fan though…
1. Villa’s next game is not at Villa Park. Away form is where it’s at for the Villa
2. As the cliché goes, you shouldn’t take the league table serious until 10 games have passed. Now a win at West Ham would more than likely leave us in the top half. Considering most fans would have taken that at the start of the season as a final finishing place, it’s bottom-line fine.
3. It was progress from playing Everton last season at Villa Park performance-wise. Then, we were completely out muscled and it was men vs boys. This time round, if Benteke puts away his penalty or his later first-half chance, it would have been a different game. I think Lambert was a little rose-tinted in thinking Villa should have been 3-0 up, but being more clinical in front of goal – after no goals in three games – will make a big difference in terms of results from tight games.
4. Benteke made his first start since his injury. He may not have even been 100% fit. One thing is for certain, he’ll be closer to getting his mojo back in the next game. West Ham beware!
5. It’s now time to play those teams in the lower half of the division. Surely the only way is top?
Follow MOMS on Twitter – @oldmansaid