If you’re gunning for 20 league goals in a season and need one more with three games to go, it’s perhaps best not to get sent off and pick up a three-match ban. That’s exactly what Jonathan Kodjia managed to do in Villa’s last game away to Fulham, which left a sour taste, after he had been Villa’s sweetest performer this season.
There was some debate to whether Kodjia actually deserved a straight red while the instigator of the incident, Fulham’s full-back Fredericks kicked out at the Villa striker first and escaped unpunished.
Certainly MOMS wasn’t convinced by the ref’s eventual decision.
I’m not that convinced by Kodjia sending off, after seeing again. You wouldn’t be that surprised if it was just a yellow…
— My Old Man Said (@oldmansaid) April 17, 2017
Villa boss Steve Bruce also suggested that the ref initially had no problem with it
“It [Jonathan Kodja’s red card] cannot be deemed as violent conduct, surely,” said Bruce post-match. “I hope the referee looks at it, because the referee didn’t give it – the fourth official did.”
Villa did appeal the decision on the grounds of it not being violent conduct and today successfully managed to get a reduction in the ban.
The Ivory Coast international will now just miss the Second City derby against Birmingham, but will be available against Blackburn and Brighton.
Kodjia isn’t quite on the beach yet. Now, he’s got two cracks at that 20-goal target.
We wish him well.
Check out the current podcast episode below, new one along soon…