Benteke to step down or be sold and Alex McLeish is apparently really good
Rob Brennan @ Daily Mail
Headline: Yorke says Benteke needs to step aside after two penalty misses for Villa
Express and Star decides it’s already time for the Benteke January transfer rumours
The Villa boss watched the 22-year-old star waste two big chances to put Villa ahead against Everton – the first from the spot kick.But after another home defeat which removed further momentum from his team’s start, Lambert will still be more concerned about reports of renewed bids for Benteke’s services in January.
Lambert claimed a personal triumph in the summer when he persuaded Benteke to stay – and sign an improved contract – after last season’s survival-clinching top scorer had put in a transfer request.
But north London rivals Arsenal and Spurs are today back on his trail.
1. The article starts off referring to Benteke wasting two big chances and then they desperately follow that with ‘news’ that Arsenal and Spurs are now back on his trail. With that logic, maybe if he misses five or six chances in Villa’s next match, Barcelona and Real Madrid will be after him?
2. We were already bored by these stories the first time round.
3. If Arsenal and Spurs were really after Benteke, they would have been able to get him cheaper during the last transfer window than the forthcoming January one. For a club to buy Benteke in the January window on the back of him only serving a few months of a new four year contract, they’d have to pay a crazy amount of money. Thus a transfer out of Villa Park in January is very unlikely indeed.
4. When are the Fabian Delph transfer hogwash stories going to start? Let us guess…probably as soon as he gets called up to the England squad.
Media Muppet Score: 10/10
Jame Nursey @ Daily Mirror gives Alex McLeish a glowing reference
Headline: Alex McLeish as Crystal Palace manager? Why Big ‘Eck can solve the Eagles’ big problems
1. Have James been smoking crack?
2. It’s puzzling to what the motivation of this article was? Is he big pals now with millionaire Alex McLeish (a decent enough chap) that he’s trying to give him a helping hand? Is he trying to be controversial to get readers and thus advertising hits for the Daily Mirror? Is April’s Fool six months early?
3. ‘This is no McLeish love-in’ – granted, it’s more like McLeish S & M.
4. “Plenty of experience in the English top-flight and decent contacts to pull in signings” – of getting teams relegated or almost relegated, and he can use those contacts to sign naff Spurs rejects or give five-year contracts with hefty wages to goalkeepers in the twilight of their career.
5. McLeish’s Villa reign successful? Seriously James? McLeish still had several of the high wage earners at his disposal and signed two more in Given and N’Zogbia, so he wasn’t really suffering from the “massive financial cut-backs” . If he suffered any bad luck, it was with injuries.
6. Alex McLeish is the only thing Birmingham and Villa fans agree on – you wouldn’t have him managing your club in the Premiership.
7. Actually, with Palace as good as relegated already, maybe McLeish is the perfect man for the job!