“I don’t want to be in this position, that’s for sure. This is a brilliant football club.” -Paul Lambert
Hang on a minute…I was there at Carrow Road a few weeks ago, celebrating in the fog of Norwich as Villa’s sharp-shooters fired Villa into a cup semi and it felt like everything had clicked into gear for Lambert. After all, they then went on to whoop Liverpool at Anfield, a few days later too. The good times seemed to be back for the Villa fan. What went wrong? Since, it’s been a total collapse. Injuries can be used as an excuse, but it’s not the fact we have lost three games on the bounce, it’s the fact in those games, Villa have fired blanks and shipped 15 goals. I’m far from cheerful, but here goes…
1. Judging by the scorelines, Villa are showing an improvement – 8-0, 4-0…3-0…
2. You survived 2012. Villa will never have to play another game in 2012 again. What a terrible, terrible year. One of the worst in Villa history. Three home league wins in the calendar year. Lerner needs to buy all the season ticket holders a drink.
3. They’ll be at least three cup games coming up in January 2013, and we’ve won every cup game we’ve played this season.
4. Stoke’s last-minute equaliser against the Saints (3-3) keeps Villa out of the bottom three at the turn of the year. Psychologically and superstitiously important.
5. Some things in football never change. Alex McLeish’s first game as Forest manager ends in a draw 2-2 vs Crystal Palace. It’s good news for those who like a bet – the ‘McLeish draw banker’ is back! (Take advantage of it with the MOMS offer below and make 2013 a profitable year!).
Follow MOMS on Twitter on @oldmansaid