What a bad evening – 4-0 Carling Cup defeat by Spurs and confirmation that Benteke is out for a month
Terrible performance. Terrible game. Terrible result. Spurs have spent the money, so even their second-string is decent, but Villa’s early season optimism took a hit tonight with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Spurs. Could it get any worse? Hell yes. In the post-match press conference, Lambert confirms that Christian Benteke will be out for a month due to his injury. Below an attempt to find five reasons to still be cheerful. UTV
1. Benteke out for a month At least Villa’s Belgian beast didn’t do an Okore. November will be a key month in terms of winnable games, so at least he’ll be back for them. Lambert has labeled Benteke a ‘quick healer’, so lets hope he can shave a week off his proposed month out.
2. Callum Robinson made his competitive first team debut for a few minutes
3. Tonev got a shot on target. We’re classing that as progress after the Norwich game. Also, Marc Albrighton had an okay game. Funny how he played tonight when some ITK tweeter accounts confirmed he’d gone on loan to Derby County.
4. Jed Steer knows how to pick the ball out of the net. A skill that could come in useful if Guzan gets injured and the Villa team put in other performances like they did against Spurs.
5. The weather is a lot more milder this week from what I was expecting. Maybe there’s a chance of an Indian summer?
Follow MOMS on twitter at @oldmansaid